Hands-on Jewish Learning
My goal is to help kids and grownups spend time together making Jewish things. I like stuff that is hands-on, attractive, non-fussy, cheap and real, and so fun no one realizes it's educational.
The value is in the doing, not just the being done, and in the conversations and questions that happen along the way. Every project comes with helpful and (hopefully) pleasant chatter, because my native compulsiveness and enthusiasm means that I’ve given the meaning, function, and possible permutations a lot of thought. You won’t need to do much planning, because I’ll have done it for you.
Saw it here, first
PURIM LEGO gragger
Shavuot Edible Mt. Sinai
LEGO (and Hunger Games) Lag B’Omer
My articles elsewhere:• Hanukkah Parent School Visits (InterFaithFamily)
• A Jewish Backyard(InterFaithFamily)
•Jewish in Nashville (Kveller.com)
•Passover the Slacker Way (Kveller.com)
•Edible Fruit Bowls for Tu Bishvat (GourmetKosherCooking.com)
•Tu Bishvat Bird Feeder (Kveller.com)
•Tu Bishvat in Candy Land (Kveller.com)
•A Whale of a Snack for Yom Kippur (edible whales) (Kveller.com)
•I Need Storebought Thematic Snackyness and I Need it Now (edible shofars) (Kveller.com)
•Edible Craft: New Year's Apple Bowl for Honey (Kveller.com)
•Apple Print Blessings Placemat (Kveller.com)
•Mt. Sinai Muffins (Kveller.com)
•Converting Toys to Judaism(Kveller.com)
•Make a Mezuzah(Kveller.com)
•How to Make a Mezuzah with Kitsch and Class (PEZ dispenser + Mezuzah = PEZuzah)(MyJewishLearning.com)
- Hands-on Menorah Quiz (for School, Carnival)
- The Spin on Gendered dreidels
- “Oil Crush” synagogue program: Make Oil like a Maccabee
- Kid-decorated dreidels DIY
- Printable Dreidel rules, letter names and meanings
- The Final Menurkey (stick a fork in me, I’m done)
- Dollar Store Menurkey hack (and Talmudic quandary)
- Altoids tin Menorah
- Dormenorah (upcycled LED Menorah for dorm)
- Handyman Menorah (DIY “Man-orah” for dorm or home)
- Marmite Menorah
- Menurkey, quick and cheap
- Torah Scroll flannel board
- Edible Menorah in a Window
Pics from Posts
- Hands-on Menorah Quiz (for Schools, Carnival) #Hanukkah wp.me/pvKSY-1Uv 6 days ago
- The Spin on Gendered dreidels wp.me/pvKSY-1Ru 6 days ago
- a Meatloaf Menorah. Good Shabbes and Happy #Hanukkah: wp.me/pvKSY-1hZ http://t.co/eXCwOJrXj2 1 week ago
- Happy Thanksgiving, Happy #Hanukkah (papier mache Roasted Menurkey) wp.me/pvKSY-1Jw http://t.co/cCmuibZ8kC 1 week ago
- #MakeItHappen grant idea: #Hanukkah replica of Maccabee olive crushing program @federations wp.me/pvKSY-1Kh http://t.co/W7Swoq8LF7 1 week ago
- © Bible Belt Balabusta by Joanna Brichetto, 2008-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Bible Belt Balabusta and Joanna Brichetto with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- 193,491 hits
- "Only learning that is enjoyed will be learned well" —Judah ha-Nasi, redactor of the Mishnah
Search for ideas
Printable how-to: LEGO Dreidel
Defining the TermsBalabusta, n. (bal-eh-boos’-teh) Yiddish for female boss of the home, a praiseworthy Jewish homemaker.
Bible Belt, n. where I am, and where most Jews aren’t.
For details, see "Nu?"
It doesn’t matter if you don’t live in the Bible Belt. The geographical modifier is a flag to indicate that the author is used to being outnumbered, without resources, and thus able to do just about anything from scratch. Newbies welcome. I used to be one, long ago.
- *Make a Mezuzah*
- Jewish LEGO
- Mitzvah Chart
- Why make stuff with our kids?
- Holiday School Visits: Show and Tell
- Make bedtime Jewish
- Holiday Parties / Carnivals
- Making Toys Jewish
10 Commandments Origami
Shavuot Ice-Cream-in-a-Bag Snack